Skip to content

Transitional Licensure (not an option as of 8/1/15)

***Program not available as of August 1, 2015. School system requests (intent to hire letters) must be received by July 31, 2015.***

The new job-embedded licensure program will begin August 1, 2015 with the 2015-16 academic year. If you are viewing this site August 1, 2015 or later, please click here to view the new job-embedded licensure program information.

A transitional licensure program is available to individuals hired by a local public school system. A written agreement must be in place between the school system and the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences. The superintendent/director must make a written request to the associate dean for admission into the transitional program on behalf of the applicant. The school system must be able to verify that it is unable to obtain the services of a licensed teacher in the area where the vacancy exists. Teachers may teach on a Transitional type license no more than three years. In order to renew the transitional license each year, teachers must demonstrate satisfactory annual progress toward completion of all licensure requirements.

The college has elected to participate in the following transitional licensure programs:

  • Special Education: Modified and Comprehensive, grades K–12
  • Mathematics, grades 7–12
  • Science (Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Earth), grades 7–12
  • World language (Spanish, French, Latin, German), grades K–12

The College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences has a Transitional agreement with the following school systems.

Alcoa City
Anderson County
Blount County
Campbell County
Carter County
Christian Academy of Knoxville
Claiborne County
Cocke County
Grainger County
Hamblen County
Hancock County
Jefferson County
Knox County
Knoxville Catholic High School
Lenoir City
Loudon County
Maryville City
Monroe County
Morgan County
Oak Ridge
Oneida Special School District
Peninsula Village School
Roane County
Scott County
Sevier County
TN School for the Deaf
Union County

To qualify for a Transitional license, the candidate:

1. Must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university, with a cumulative GPA of 2.70 or higher on a 4-point grading scale, and

2. Must have met content in one of the following ways:

  • Acceptable major in the endorsement area
  • Documentation the applicant has a minimum of 24 semester credits in the teaching content area
  • Verify they have passed the required Praxis II content exam(s) for the endorsement area

3. Must have a minimum content area GPA of 2.50 or higher on a 4-point grading scale, or pass the Praxis II content exam for the endorsement area.

It is the responsibility of the employing school system to forward the necessary paperwork to the State’s Office of Teacher Licensing for the issuance of a Transitional license. The school system will forward a letter of request to the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences’ associate dean requesting admission on the applicant’s behalf. The applicant will make an advising appointment with a licensure  specialist to have transcripts reviewed and obtain a plan of study.

To schedule the appointment, please call the Student Services Center at 865-974-8194.

For more information regarding the Transitional Licensure program, please visit the following websites:

Transitional Licensure: State Department’s Website

Contact Information for Transitional Licensure Programs at other institutions

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.