How to Prepare for an Advising Appointment
- Review your curriculum in the undergraduate catalog.
- Ensure you are on track to meet progression standards by reviewing your DARs (Degree Audit Report).
- Please follow this link to learn how to appropriately run your own DARs report.
- Prepare a list of questions that you would like to ask your advisor.
- Follow through on referrals proposed by your advisor.
If you have questions at any time, please feel free to either schedule an appointment, or email your advisor. You can find a list of our staff, including email addresses on our staff page.
Online Scheduling through GradesFirst:
Please note that if you have already been assigned to a faculty advisor, you will schedule your appointment by contacting your faculty advisor directly. Recently admitted transfer students who are trying to schedule an advising appointment to be cleared to register for an upcoming term, please click here first.
Teacher Education Students
You have three advisors:
- Major Advisor—This is the advisor in your academic field. For all programs that involve a minor, this is your arts and sciences advisor. For students in PreK–K, PreK–3 and special education this is an advisor assigned to you from that specific department once you have arrived on campus and have been admitted into the program.
- Teacher Licensure Advisor—This is the advisor you see every semester from the time you are interested in teaching until you finish your internship. Again, if you are a teacher education minor, please see your arts and sciences advisor to be cleared.
- Program Coordinator—This will be the faculty member you are assigned to after being admitted through the interview process.
Schedule by Phone
If at any time you have trouble with online appointment scheduling, we are happy to set up your appointment by phone. Please call the Advising Center at 865-974-8194.
Not currently enrolled at UT? We recognize that online appointment scheduling will not work if you are not currently enrolled. Please call the Advising Center at 865-974-8194 to set up an appointment.
Find us on Campus
The CEHHS Advising Center is open Monday–Friday from 8 a.m.–5 p.m. with appointment availability from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. If you need to make an appointment outside of these times, please let the receptionist know by calling 865-974-8194, and we will try to assist you. Walk-In hours are available during the first week of classes from 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
Schedule appointment online via GradesFirst (for current UT students):
If you have a faculty advisor listed in MyUTK, you will need to schedule an appointment by contacting your faculty advisor directly via email or phone.
- Transfer students who have already been admitted to UT will need to schedule a one-hour advising appointment. Please see the transfer students page.
- Teacher licensure students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree or wish to add an endorsement should review the Teacher Licensure page prior to calling our office.
Find us on Campus:
332 Bailey Education Complex
1122 Volunteer Boulevard