Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Transfer Students

Transferring to a new institution can bring with it a lot of uncertainty and questions. The Office of Advising and Student Services would love to help with this transition! We welcome the opportunity to meet with you one on one for academic advising prior to your official transfer orientation experience. In order to learn more about you and your career plans, we request that you complete the following form:

Pre-Advising Transfer Form

Schedule an Advising Appointment

If you are a newly admitted transfer student or a student who plans to transfer to UT in the near future, please complete the following steps to schedule an advising appointment.

Step 1: Submit the Pre-Transfer Advising Form. After submission, your information will be reviewed by a CEHHS advisor who will provide preliminary information about your academic transition via email as quickly as possible (typically within one week).

Step 2: Once you receive the follow-up email with your pre-transfer advising review, please call 865-974-8194 (Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.) to schedule your appointment.

Please note that attending an academic advising session prior to orientation does not replace the university-wide, mandatory orientation experience. If you have not yet registered for an orientation session, you can do so here.

Please return the completed pre-transfer advising form and any needed unofficial transcripts to the CEHHS Office of Advising and Student Services:

  • Email—
  • Fax—865-974-5781
  • Mail—1122 Volunteer Blvd., Knoxville, TN 37996
  • Physical Location—332 Bailey Education Complex

Accessing/Reading Your Academic History

The most important piece to the transfer puzzle is your academic history, which can be accessed from the MyUTK homepage shortly after you have been admitted to the university. It is vital that the University of Tennessee undergraduate admissions office have a chance to review ALL of your previous transcripts—preferably before you make an advising appointment. For a better understanding of how to read your academic history please see the following information:

LD vs. UD—You may find some courses marked as LD or UD. This stands for “lower division” or “upper division.” LD indicates that the course did not transfer as an exact UT course but is coming in as a 100–200 level course. UD indicates that the course is coming in as a 300–400 level course but again is not an exact match.

You will be able to petition LD and UD courses that you feel satisfy specific requirements toward your major. You will not be able to complete the petition process at orientation, but we can certainly help you address these concerns at a follow-up appointment. To learn more about the petition process, click here.

If you’re curious to learn how the courses you completed at other institutions will likely transfer to UT, you can find many course equivalencies on the registrar’s transfer equivalency tables (for institutions in the state of Tennessee and bordering states). Please click here to find the transfer table.