2017 Spring and Summer graduates
Steps to Graduation
- Apply to graduate in myUTK after 90 completed hours.
- Students will receive an invitation in the mail from the college during the spring semester (typically February).
- Caps and gowns can be purchased in the VolShop on campus.
- RSVP to participate in the commencement ceremony by April 30.
When: Friday, May 12, 2017, 8:30 a.m.
Where: Thompson-Boling Arena
1600 Phillip Fulmer Way
Knoxville, TN 37996
- Graduates can check-in on the arena floor with the Office of Advising and Student Services staff starting at 7:30 AM.
- Graduates will be seated on the arena floor in alphabetical order by academic department by 8:15 AM.
- Graduates arriving after 8:25 will be seated by an usher after the faculty processional.
- Questions, concerns, lost commencement tickets – See the check-in table behind the curtain on the NE side of the arena floor starting at 7:30 AM
Commencement Ceremony Photos: You may locate your graduation photos online. The following two pieces of information are required to access your account:
- Last name of the graduate
- Graduation year
You may reach the Grad Images Customer Service Department by calling
1-800-261-2576 if you have any questions or need assistance.
The facilities will be open one hour before the ceremony begins. Guest seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Sign language for hearing impaired guests will be available. General wheelchair-accessible seating will be available throughout the arena.
You may also watch the commencement ceremonies by following the university’s live video stream. The live steam will coincide with the time of commencement. A closed caption live stream is available here. You can follow up to date commencement information by following #utgrad2017.
Clear Bag Policy and Security
Only one clear plastic bag no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches or a one-gallon, clear, resealable plastic storage bag per person will be permitted. Guests will be allowed a small clutch purse not to exceed 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches.
First Destination Survey
The university requests that graduating students complete a “first destination” survey to share plans about their next steps when leaving the university, e.g., graduate school, full-time job, internship, still seeking, etc.
Multicultural Graduation Celebration
This information will be updated as the information is provided to our office.
More information on commencement at the University of Tennessee is available from the registrar’s office.
Fall graduates will participate in the university wide commencement ceremony. Details are available from the registrar’s office.