Additional endorsement programs are available to teachers who want to add areas of licensure to their Tennessee licenses. Our additional endorsement programs are state approved (Tennessee Department of Education) and nationally accredited through CAEP (Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation). Here is a list of additional endorsement areas the University of Tennessee currently offers:
- American Sign Language, PreK-12
- Early Development and Learning PreK-K
- Elementary Education, K–5
- English as a Second Language PreK-12
- Middle Grades, Math and Science, 6–8
- Music Education, K–12
- Secondary Education, 6–12
- Special Education: Interventionist and Comprehensive
- Special Education: Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, PreK–12
- Special Education: Gifted, K-12
- Visual Arts, K–12
- Vocational Agriculture/Agriscience, 7–12
- World Language Education, K-12
Additional Endorsement Areas
(Requires additional work at the graduate level)
- Beginning Administrator, K–12
- Library Media Specialist
- Professional Administrator (PAL)
- Reading Specialist, PreK–12
- School Counselor, PreK–12
- School Psychologist, PreK–12
- School Social Worker
- Special Education: Speech/Language, PreK–12
The college works collaboratively with departments for additional endorsements in library information specialist, music education, school social worker, and agriculture education. Please visit the individual department website for the collaborative programs.
Admission to the additional endorsement program is a two-step process. Click on the links below to follow the steps required.
Non-Elementary Education Programs:
First, the teacher must submit an additional endorsement review request with appropriate documentation, to the Office of Teacher Licensure.
If you are considering adding elementary education K–5 to your license, please complete this form.
If you have any trouble completing this form, please call 865-974-8194 and ask to speak with Meagan Spillers.
The second step in the admission process, is for the applicant to apply to either Undergraduate Admissions or Graduate & International Admissions. The Undergraduate Admission application is available here. The Graduate & International Admission application is available here. All candidates must meet the 2.75 minimum GPA standard for admission to the additional endorsement program. If graduate credit is desired/required for the professional education course work, the candidate must be admitted through Graduate & International Admissions, which requires a minimum GPA of 2.75.
Once the applicant has completed all requirements for the additional endorsement, he/she is eligible to request the endorsement be added to his/her Tennessee license. The recommendation to the state’s Office of Teacher Licensing must be submitted by the university. The applicant will submit the following documents to the Office of Teacher Licensing, A332 Bailey Education Complex, attention Ms. Meagan Spillers:
- completed license application, available on the state’s website,
- a copy of the Praxis score report, if UT was not requested as a score recipient, and
- an official transcript, if any required courses were completed elsewhere.
The Office of Teacher Licensing will submit all required documents to the state to request the additional endorsement be added to the license. Our office will also submit an official UT transcript with the licensure recommendation. We are only able to provide this service if all fees/fines are paid prior to our office receiving the transcript.
Click on the document provided under “Academic Teacher License” (this applies to all Practitioner/Professional Teachers) for state information on adding an endorsement.