Schedule an Advising Appointment
CEHHS advising campaigns are complete for the Spring 2019 term. To schedule an advising appointment, please login to GradesFirst through the link on the MyUTK homepage (see instructions here) or contact our office during normal business hours (Mon-Fri between 8AM and 5PM) at 865-974-8194.
If you are a:
- Current UT student pursuing Teacher Education, you may have more than one advisor depending on your licensing area. If you are interested in a licensing area that requires selection of a major in the College of Arts and Sciences (Elementary Ed, Secondary Ed, etc.) and a minor in our college, you will first need to meet with an A&S advisor. Any Teacher Education students who has met with our office previously should be able to schedule an appointment as described above under “current CEHHS undergraduate students.” If you run into issues, please email your teacher licensure specialist directly or contact our main office at 865-974-8194.
- Current UT student who has not met with our office before, but hopes to pursue a Teacher Education program, please follow the “Change of major students” procedures listed below.
- Prospective high school student interested in Teacher Education, please follow the “Prospective Students” step listed below.
- Transfer student interested in Teacher Education, please follow the “Transfer Students” step listed below.
- Student who has already earned a bachelor’s degree and hopes to pursue a post-baccalaureate program, job-embedded program, or additional endorsements, please read the information on the page correlating to your interest area by choosing the hyperlink in this paragraph about initiating review for your intended program.
If you are currently in a major outside of the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences and are interested in changing your major, please email the following information to Meagan Spillers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student name, UT student ID, requested major/education program, current cumulative UT GPA (GPA can be found on MyUTK under “Academic Resources” by clicking on Academic History)
- Note: the minimum GPA requirement for the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences is 2.3.
You should receive additional communication about scheduling an appointment within one week. For questions regarding the information requested please contact Meagan Spillers at 865-974-8194.
We are excited about your interest in the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences (CEHHS)! As a first step, we recommended that students contact the UT Admissions Office to schedule a campus tour. Once you have scheduled a tour, you will receive a tour confirmation email that includes information about scheduling a meeting with a CEHHS college advisor or representative if desired. Please note that we have limited advisor availability during peak advising times (September – November and February – April), but will always meet with prospective students as we are able. If you have additional questions, please contact our office at email@example.com, and we will respond within 2-3 business days.
Welcome to the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences! If you are a newly admitted transfer student or a student who plans to transfer to UT in the near future, please read the information about scheduling an advising appointment here.
How to Prepare for an Advising Appointment
- Review your curriculum in the undergraduate catalog.
- Ensure you are on track to meet progression standards by reviewing your DARs (Degree Audit Report).
- Please follow this link to learn how to appropriately run your own DARs report.
- Prepare a list of questions that you would like to ask your advisor.
- Follow through on referrals proposed by your advisor.
If you have questions at any time, please feel free to either schedule an appointment, or email your advisor. You can find a list of our staff, including email addresses on our staff page.
Teacher Education Students
You have three advisors:
- Major Advisor—This is the advisor in your academic field. For all programs that involve a minor, this is your arts and sciences advisor. For students in PreK–K, PreK–3 and special education this is an advisor assigned to you from that specific department once you have arrived on campus and have been admitted into the program.
- Teacher Licensure Advisor—This is the advisor you see every semester from the time you are interested in teaching until you finish your internship. Again, if you are a teacher education minor, please see your arts and sciences advisor to be cleared.
- Program Coordinator—This will be the faculty member you are assigned to after being admitted through the interview process.
Find us on Campus
The CEHHS Advising Center is open Monday–Friday from 8 a.m.–5 p.m. with appointment availability from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. If you need to make an appointment outside of these times, please let the receptionist know by calling 865-974-8194, and we will try to assist you. Walk-In hours are available during the first week of classes from 8 – 11:30 a.m. and 1 – 3:30 p.m.
332 Bailey Education Complex
1122 Volunteer Boulevard
Items of Interest
Prior to advanced registration, all undergraduate students who have earned fewer than 30 hours at UT (AP, DP, and transfer credit not included), students who are on academic review, and students who have not officially declared a major are required to meet with an advisor during each term of the academic year (fall and spring). All other students are required to meet with an advisor for an advising appointment during a designated term each year. Students whose ID ends with an even number (including zero) are advised in fall for spring registration; students whose ID ends with an odd number are advised in spring for fall registration.
All students are encouraged to meet with an advisor each term to ensure degree progression.